Tree Climbing with Earthjoy
Challenge by Choice: How high do you want to climb? Lie in hammocks, swing in tree chairs and learn to surf branches as you meet other adventurous people at your own pace. Spend time connecting to yourself and nature during this outdoor adventure!
We take you step by step to fun and safety in the trees.
Step 1: Safety
For all EarthJOY treeclimbing classes and sessions, the instructors have all the ropes set and tied when you arrive. You will be taught how to move the knots in sequence to ascend and descend safely. You will be secured in a saddle harness and safety helmet.
When you arrive we have a detailed safety talk.
10 TOP SAFETY TIPS FOR TREECLIMBING
- Secure long hair
- No jewelry
- No cell phones
- Wear comfortable clothing, hiking shoes are preferable
- Never touch anyone else’s rope
- No drugs or alcohol
- No smoking
- No chewing gum
- Always on rope – always attached and unattached by instructor
- Honor the tree and others
We use state of the art equipment:
Petzl Helmets, New tribe harnesses, Gloves, Certified arborist rope, Petzl carabineers
Step 2: ASCENDING Procedures
- Before leaving ground, perform a gate check by squeezing your carabiner.
- Keep hands below the climbing knot.
- When moving the climbing knot, keep both hands on the down rope.
- Do not climb above your anchor point.
- Take your time, move all knots in sequence, and rest when you need to.
Step 3: DESCENDING
Get the attention of an instructor/facilitator and follow their directions.
You may want to come down upside down.
Remove foot from foot loop
Place both hands on down rope below the climbing knot.
Using one hand (or feet if upside down) pull knot down gently with two fingers (or feet) on top of the climbing knot.
Do not burn out. Come out of the tree in slow descent.
All facilitators are required to have been certified. Bill and Shelly’s training was through Abe Winters of Tree Climbing USA
The climber wears a specific helmet and always remains attached to the rope and secure saddle.